I am applying for merit pay based on my performance for the 2015-16 school year. This has again been a very busy, but rewarding year. I put in at least 60+ hour weeks in order to keep up with my teaching and other activities listed below. I have exceptional performance in Teaching, Professional Activity and Service. Recent accomplishments for 2015-16 are listed below.
Teaching is of utmost importance to me.
· I am always well prepared for class and give students my best. This is my TOP priority.
· I receive very positive feedback from students and have been able to help many students succeed this year, several of which have previously struggled in math classes. I work to build positive attitudes and good study habits with a non-threatening class atmosphere. See student evaluation ratings and comments.
· I love interacting with students. I regularly have students come to my office to get extra help and I have online office hours using Adobe connect (including evenings which work best for many students). In addition, I’ve been helping Math 1080 students with their questions. I have an approachable nature and students find themselves comfortable asking questions until they understand.
· Since I’m at Jordan with more limited help options for students, I schedule extra review sessions for tests and the final. These are well attended and lower key and students appreciate the extra help and I enjoy interacting with them.
· I am teaching trigonometry utilizing the OER book and materials. I’ve built active learning classroom activities which are posted so other instructors can use them. I’ve also revamped the MyOpenMath homework for this course and provided feedback on projects and materials provided to all faculty as we continue to refine this course using open educational resources.
· I spent a lot of time transferring my website (college is shutting down the server). I’m updating extensive videos and powerpoint tutorials and homework examples for intermediate and college algebra, trigonometry, and Calculus I and II. I’ve been transferring videos to YouTube and I’ve created my own channel. These resources are used by SLCC students and across the world.
· I encouraged three of my students (Calculus II students from Itineris Early College High School) to participate in the SME Symposium and helped them with their application, abstract, prep work. I attended and helped them set up. They got 2nd place in the demonstration category!
This past academic year I have done several things in the area of professional activity.
I actively serve the college, math department and students. I participate in a timely manner on book and final review committees, mentoring adjuncts, tenure committees, etc. and consider those things a basic part of my job and therefore not listed specifically below.
I love teaching, working with students and colleagues and sharing what I know to contribute to their success!